Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pinned it, Tried it, And...

In honor of snow-magedon coming our way, I stocked up at the the store and got ready for round two of Pinned it, Tried it, And...  I originally sent Adam to the store for a lot of the Asian things, but they can be difficult to find, and some things needed substitutions.  The first recipe I tried out was Coconut Chicken Curry.  As I said, I made some changes, so I can't say whether the exact recipe was fantastic or not.




I had a head of cauliflower, so I used that instead of broccoli, and my store was out of red curry paste, so I mixed a Thai sauce with tomato paste.


Not the clearest picture, but this is the chicken coated in the curry powder.




My altered recipe:
  • 2 (about 1 pound) boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 1 head of cauliflower, broken up
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (I use the small jar)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 2 ½ tablespoons Thai Sauce
  • 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
  • ½ tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
  • ½ teaspoon salt
1.     Heat peanut oil in a medium sauce pan, then add chicken pieces and curry powder.  Cook fully, about 5-8 minutes.  Set aside.
2.     Add a little more peanut oil to pan, and add cauliflower, garlic and ginger.  Mix for a few minutes, then add coconut milk and simmer for 5-8 minutes.  Then add Thai sauce, tomato paste, and salt, mixing it all with the coconut paste.  
3.     Add the chicken, bring to a boil, then simmer for a few minutes.  Finally, mix in the cornstarch mix and cook for a few more minutes to thicken the curry.  

Serve with some brown or white rice and enjoy!  

Adam and I added a lot of sriracha (we're spice fiends) and some parmesan (because we're weird).  It was tasty!  Adam said that he might have preferred it with the broccoli, because the cauliflower was a little bland, and I would say that adding the salt is necessary.  Next time I'll probably add more variety of vegetables (maybe some bell pepper and carrots) and a bit more curry paste mix.  And if you like spicy, I would put sriracha in when you add the curry mix.  Otherwise, it's a winner!  



No comments:

Post a Comment